Welcome to the first episode of the Read-Aloud Revival Podcast!
Today I’m sharing my conversation with Andrew Pudewa from the Institute for Excellence in Writing. We talk about why reading aloud to kids who are old enough to read to themselves is so critically important, and Andrew tackles some of your questions.
Episode 1 Show Notes:
Links to everything Andrew and I talked about during today’s show:
- One Myth, Two Truths– Andrew’s article on the importance of reading aloud
- Nurturing Competent Communicators– this talk inspired me to start the Read-Aloud Revival
- How to Read Slowly by James Sire
- The Underground History of American Education by John Taylor Gatto
- Keeping Hands Busy– a printable with ideas for how to keep hands busy during read-aloud times
- Inspiring Children– the article by Andrew Kern about “playing with the puppy”
- The Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket- Andrew called this series the “modern day Hansel & Gretel”