Welcome to the first episode of the Read-Aloud Revival Podcast!
Today I’m sharing my conversation with Andrew Pudewa from the Institute for Excellence in Writing.
We talk about:
- why reading aloud to kids who are old enough to read to themselves is so critically important
- how you aren’t making a mistake in reading to your struggling reader
- how to engage your kids in great conversations about books
Episode 1 Show Notes:
Links to everything Andrew and I talked about during today’s show:
- One Myth, Two Truths– Andrew’s article on the importance of reading aloud
- Nurturing Competent Communicators– this talk inspired me to start the Read-Aloud Revival
- How to Read Slowly by James Sire
- The Underground History of American Education by John Taylor Gatto
- Keeping Hands Busy– a printable with ideas for how to keep hands busy during read-aloud times
- Inspiring Children– the article by Andrew Kern about “playing with the puppy”
- The Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket- Andrew called this series the “modern day Hansel & Gretel”